Battelle’s maritime research and development has resulted in crucial deployed components for mission-critical systems operating at sea for more than 70 years. We provide best-in-class development, transition and deployment of technologies that help sustain U.S. undersea dominance, bolster commercial offshore activities and advance science. We deliver IP, products, technical solutions and engineering support in five key undersea areas: Submersibles & Subsystems, Life Cycle Engineering, Mission Persistence, Sensors & Imaging, and Autonomy.
Battelle engineers and scientists deliver maritime solutions based on decades of experience and are capable of addressing any challenge. Battelle’s core competencies include:
- Custom solutions including support, installation, training and maintenance.
- Technology maturation from fundamental research through product manufacturing.
- Manufacturing of low to medium volume, medium to high complexity products, delivered in short amounts of time.
- Independent analyses, engineering studies and testing.
- Large staff of technicians and fabrication facilities allow rapid prototyping to meet urgent field requirements, especially in the areas of electrical, mechanical and hydraulic systems engineering
- Independent analyses, engineering studies and testing for 3rd party evaluation of systems.
Specialized Maritime Facilities
Battelle maintains six research facilities across the country for custom maritime testing and development. These cutting-edge facilities include:
- Columbus, OH: Research pool; pressure chambers to 30,000 psi; wet and spectroscopic analytical chemistry labs; shock, vibration and fatigue testing; electronics, electro-optics and software labs; Class 100 clean room; and a high energy testing lab.
- Norwell, MA: Environmental monitoring, water quality, ultra-trace analytical chemistry labs; ocean engineering support; and hydrocarbon forensics.
- Sequim, WA: Oceanographic modeling, marine toxicology, environmental monitoring; and a Class 100 clean room.
- Daytona Beach, FL: Oceanfront corrosion and coatings testing.